What you must know before you sign a lease
At the start of every tenancy you should be given the following by the landlord or agent:
- a copy of the Tenancy Checklist information statement
- a copy of your lease (tenancy agreement)
- 2 copies of the premises condition report
- a bond lodgement form for you to sign, so that it can be lodged with NSW Fair Trading
- keys to your new home
The first thing you should do before you sign the lease is read it thoroughly. If there is anything in it which you don’t understand, ask questions.
Remember You are committing to a legally binding contract for which there is no cooling–off period. You will want to be certain you understand and agree to what you are signing.
- Keep a copy of your lease, condition report, rent receipts, Rental Bond Number and copies of letters/emails you send or receive in a designated ‘tenancy’ file folder and put it somewhere you can easily find it later.
- Never stop paying your rent, even if the landlord is not complying with their side of the agreement (eg. by failing to do repairs) – you could end up being evicted if you do.
- Comply with the terms of your lease. In particular, never make any alterations, keep a pet or let other people move in without asking the landlord or agent for permission first.
- Consider taking out home contents insurance. It will cover your belongings in case of theft, fires and natural disasters. The landlord’s building insurance, if they have it, will not cover your things.
- If you are happy in the place and your lease ends, consider asking for the lease to be renewed for another fixed term. This will remove the worry about being unexpectedly asked to leave, and helps to lock in the rent for the next period of time.
Rental Arrears Management Procedure
At Ray White Real Estate, we understand that sometimes there are unforeseen circumstances that result in delayed rental payments. Although we will endeavour to accommodate any extraordinary viable situations resulting in late rental payments, there is a strict arrears management procedure that will be maintained.
If you happen to fall into arrears or know that you will be unable to make a rental payment, you should contact the office immediately to discuss this with your Property Manager.
The following steps form part of our arrears management procedure at Ray White Glenmore Park:
7 – 9 days in arrears – Reminder letter or phone call
10 – 14 days in arrears – Letter of Demand
15 days or more in arrears – Termination Notice for unpaid rent
Tenants who have not rectified their rental arrears by the expiry date on the Termination Notice will be expected to have vacated the rental property by that same date. You will also be advised during this process that if a Termination Notice is issued then your name and details may be placed on TICA – Tenancy Information Centre of Australia for any monies outstanding.
Getting your bond back
To assist in ensuring your bond is returned without any avoidable deductions or time delays, please keep the following on file and refer to it prior to handing back all sets of keys.
ONLY RETURN THE KEYS WHEN YOU ARE COMPLETELY SATISFIED THAT YOU HAVE LEFT THE PROPERTY IN THE SAME OR AS NEAR CONDITION AS WHEN YOU MOVED IN. ANY REPAIRS AND CLEANING MUST BE CARRIED OUT AT THE PROPERTY BEFORE THE KEYS ARE RETURNED TO THE OFFICE. IT IS NOT OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ORGANISE CLEANING AND/OR REPAIRS ON YOUR BEHALF UNLESS PREVIOUSLY ARRANGED WITH RAY WHITE.
RAY WHITE GLENMORE PARK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ENGAGE CLEANERS, HANDYMEN ETC ON YOUR BEHALF AND CHARGE YOU IF THE PROPERTY IS LEFT IN ANY CONDITION LESS THAN HOW YOU RECEIVED IT. WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO ALLOW YOU TO RETURN TO THE PROPERTY SO IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST TO LEAVE THE PROPERTY IN THE BEST POSSIBLE MANNER.
DEPENDING ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES, WE MAY ALLOW YOU TO RETURN TO THE PROPERTY IF MINOR CLEANING IS REQUIRED, HOWEVER, YOU WILL ONLY BE GIVEN A TIME FRAME OF 48 HOURS AFTER THE BOND INSPECTION; IF YOU FAIL TO GO BACK WITHIN THIS TIME, WE WILL HAVE THE ISSUES RECTIFIED AND CHARGE IT TO YOUR BOND.
RENT WILL BE CHARGED UNTIL ALL KEYS ARE HANDED IN. IF YOU HAVE LOST ANY KEYS, GARAGE OR AIR CONDITIONING REMOTES, YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THEIR REPLACEMENT.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL WATER USAGE AND RENT MUST BE PAID UNTIL KEYS ARE RETURNED TO THE OFFICE. THERE WILL BE A FINAL WATER USAGE ACCOUNT WHICH YOUR PROPERTY MANAGER WILL ADVISE YOU OF AFTER THE BOND INSPECTION IS CARRIED OUT. YOU WILL NEED TO PAY ANY FINAL WATER USAGE AND RENT TO THE OFFICE BEFORE YOUR BOND CAN BE RELEASED.
General (Throughout Property)
- Clean all windows, doors, sliding doors, window tracks & sills, fly screens and security screens
- Vacuum all sliding door tracks and wipe clean
- Sweep and mop all floors (except carpet), removing any marks
- Professional steam cleaning of all carpets is optional, however if the carpets are visibly stained, dirty or if you have had permission to keep a pet, you MUST have the carpets professionally steam cleaned
- Fumigation for fleas to be carried out by a registered Pest Control Company if applicable (the landlord reserves the right to ask you to have a flea/pest treatment carried out at the premises if necessary).
- Clean light fittings (remove light fittings and wipe out dead bugs)
- Clean marks off walls and clean light switches
- Wipe down and remove all dust from skirting boards, window sills and TV points etc.
- Ensure that all curtains and blinds are clean as per condition report
- Clean inside built-in wardrobes, mirrored doors and door tracks
- Remove any cobwebs from in and outside the property (ie: around cornices, eaves and windows)
- Clean inside and outside all cupboards and doors
- Clean inside and outside and around stove/cooktop
- Clean inside and outside and behind dishwasher and free standing/upright oven (if applicable)
- Clean exhaust fans and filter
- Clean inside and outside of oven and griller (including shelves & trays)
- Clean sink, especially drain holes
- All floors to be cleaned
- Clean rangehood and filter (filter to be removed and cleaned)
- Clean all floors, mirrors, windows and window tracks
- Clean inside and outside of vanity/cupboards
- Clean toilet (ensure to clean inside the bowl, lid, seat, under seat, cistern and behind toilet on the s-bend), bath, shower recess, glass shower screens, sink
- Clean exhaust fans and lights
- Shower curtain to be washed with bleach or replaced if applicable
- Clean laundry tub (inside bottom cupboard of tub)
- Clean all floors to be cleaned
- Clean light fittings
- Remove any scuff marks on the walls
- Clean windows, tracks and sills
- Sweep or mop floors, clean/dust all railings and any glass (If applicable)
- Clean light fittings and remove any cobwebs etc.
Lock up garage or carport
- Sweep out and remove any oil residue from concrete
- Empty and clean any otto bins and remove all rubbish from premises
- Clean garage door inside and outside
- Clean light fittings
- Close and lock garage door
Front & Back Yards
- Mow all lawns on or as close to the day you vacate, including whipper snipping the edges
- Trim any shrubs/trees/hedges
- Ensure gardens are free of weeds
- Ensure all animal droppings are removed from the yards (if applicable)
* PENRITH CITY COUNCIL HAVE A FREE RUBBISH COLLECTION SERVICE AVAILABLE. YOU MUST GIVE AT LEAST A WEEK’S NOTICE PRIOR TO VACATING.
* A COPY OF THE RECEIPT MUST BE PRESENTED FOR THE CARPET CLEANING, IF APPLICABLE.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CONTACT THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT ON 02 4737 9911.